Teachers' Tool Kits provide educators with the resources required to inform students about the tourism industry in Saskatchewan. Activities are designed to be incorporated into school lesson plans.
Read more about or download Teachers' Tool Kits below:
Activity 1: Tourism Careers
Each student is asked to select an occupation in the tourism industry. Examples include: cook, tour operator, hotel front desk manager, food and beverage server, etc. The students are asked to deliver a PowerPoint presentation on the career that they have picked to present to the class.
Activity 2: Advertising
Each student is asked to pick a tourism business (e.g. hotel, tour operator, museum, etc.) and create and print an advertising poster to promote the business.
Activity 3: Tourism Business Plan
Students must create a business plan to start a new business in one of the following categories: restaurant, accommodation, or adventure sport tourism.
Activity 4: Customer Service Interview
Students are asked to interview a professional who works in a front line customer service role. A list of suggested questions is provided to help students conduct their interviews. Students may work individually or be divided into groups. Written or video interviews may be conducted.
- Download the Teachers' Tool Kit for High School Students (free PDF download, site registration and login required)
Activity 1: Tourism Profile
The students are instructed to create a tourism profile of one of the following:
- A tourism destination in Saskatchewan (e.g., Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park, Prince Albert National Park, etc.)
- A tourism experience in Saskatchewan (e.g., fishing on Lake Diefenbaker, canoeing the Churchill River, etc.)
- A tourism attraction in Saskatchewan (e.g., restaurant, golf course, museum, etc.)
Activity 2: Tourist in my Town
Create a storyboard of how you would spend one day as a tourist in your own town. Students will present their storyboards to the class.
Activity 3: Map Quest
Students are asked to choose a travel destination in Saskatchewan.
Activity 4: Tourism Marketing
Students create a tourism marketing video of a town/city. Students may be divided into teams to complete the project.
- Download the Teachers' Tool Kit for Middle School Students (free PDF download, site registration and login required)
Activity 1: The Seasons
The students identify the different seasons in Saskatchewan and list outdoor activities, indoor and outdoor sports and games that they can play or do in that season.
Activity 2: Travel Guide Search
Students are asked to use the Saskatchewan Discovery Guide to answer a series of questions.
Activity 3: Colouring Book
The colouring book allows students to demonstrate understanding that the arts are a way of expressing ideas.
Activity 4: Tourism Word Search
Students find words hidden in a grid. Three word search lists are provided, each with a higher degree of challenge.
- Download the Teachers' Tool Kit for Grade School Students (free PDF download, site registration and login required)
Infographic: Six Fascinating Facts About Tourism Employment
The tourism sector is composed of five industries: accommodation, food and beverage services, recreation and entertainment, transportation and travel services. Many businesses in these industries serve both tourists and residents of local communities.
This infographic provides a quick visual overview of who works in Saskatchewan's tourism industries.
- Download the infographic (free PDF download, site registration and login required)