We'd like to share with you a few highlights of our year.
Launched the Destination Development Strategy, a 10-year vision for tourism product and visitor experience development across the province. The Strategy outlines directions for Tourism Saskatchewan to pursue with tourism businesses, government partners and agencies, sector associations and communities.
Renewed engagement with partners, especially government and industry partners, through our Destination and Workforce Development teams.
Launched two new pilot programs: Destination Experience Development Program and Tourism Product Diversification and New Market Development Program.
Concluded a very productive DMO/CMO get together in Waskeusiu in December. A total of 17 people representing 14 tourism organizations took part in this opportunity to network with peers and discuss key issues.
- Launched the Special Events Series, seven practical online courses to help communities and organizations plan successful events.
- In partnership with Riide.ca in Saskatoon, launched Service First for the Taxi Industry, specialized training that encourages drivers to take pride in what they do and where they live, and to deliver friendly, exceptional customer service.
- Developed a specialized Heritage Interpreter Training Program to help destination organizations lay the groundwork for immersive visitor experiences.
- Produced a series of new, up-to-date videos for our Service Best customer service program.
- Introduced a Tourism Professional Development Bursary to encourage and support workers who want to pursue their professional and trade certifications. Eleven applicants received bursaries in 2019.
- Currently working with the Saskatoon Open Door Society, Regina Open Door Society, Saskatoon Industry Education Council, and hotels in Regina and Saskatoon to provide career training for newcomers to Canada under the Destination Employment pilot project. Hotels in North Battleford, Melfort and Prince Albert will join Destination Employment soon.
- Introduced an online career presentation resource for teachers, Explore Tourism Careers.
- Designated 29 Employers of Choice for 2019.
For more information about any of these initiatives, please contact us.