Frequently Asked Questions
How much money does tourism generate for Saskatchewan’s economy?
- Tourism is a significant export industry in Saskatchewan. Total traveller expenditures in Saskatchewan was $2.15 billion in 2015. There were more than 12.5 million visits made to and within Saskatchewan in 2015.
How many people are employed by tourism in Saskatchewan?
- There were 64,700 tourism-related jobs in the province in August 2015. Seven out of ten workers got their first job in the tourism industry. For residents of northern and rural communities, the industry is a key source of employment.
What does Tourism Saskatchewan do?
- Tourism Saskatchewan is dedicated to developing and promoting the province’s tourism industry. Working with members of the tourism industry, the provincial government and other partners, the organization carries out a variety of programs and initiatives across a range of areas: marketing, development, education and training, membership and visitor services, research, information technology and more.
How many people participate in tourism-based training in the province each year?
- The Saskatchewan Tourism Education Council (STEC), the education and training branch of Tourism Saskatchewan, provided training services and skill development products to just over 5,000 people in over 220 comunities across the province in 2014-2015. As well, many working in the tourism industry take training programs through their employers and other providers.
About how many people contact Tourism Saskatchewan each year to find out about travelling in Saskatchewan?
- In 2014-2015, messages about tourism opportunities in Saskatchewan were seen by 362 million visitors and potential visitors. These messages were targeted through online advertising, social media, consumer and trade shows, television, magazine and newspaper advertising, billboards, radio and publicity generated through travle media, both traditional and online.
- Consumer contacts numbered 4.6 million, an increase of 28 per cent over figures for 2013-2014. These contacts were made via social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest), website visits, live chat, telephone, in-person and through Tourism Saskatchewan's travel literature series.
- The return on every dollar invested in advertising is $40 in visitor spending.